WELCOME

This is my blog (now there is a surprise!). I will be sticking in it poetry, prose, random musings, things that take my fancy and more than likely lots of pictures of cats. I hope you find something to amuse and/or interest you here.

Tuesday 17 April 2018

NaPoWriMo2018 Day 17

http://www.napowrimo.net/   "Our prompt for the day (optional as always) follows Gowrishankar’s suggestion that we write a poem re-telling a family anecdote that has stuck with you over time. It could be the story of the time your Uncle Louis caught a home run ball, the time your Cousin May accidentally brought home a coyote and gave it a bath, thinking it was a stray dog, or something darker (or even sillier)."

*****
It was a family in joke, a funny tale.
I remember the laughter.
How the youngest daughter fall into the canal
I couldn’t swim.
Remember how she went right under the boat?
I remember trying not to breathe
Came up the other side and stood on a rock
I remember the terror
Head just above water, not able to move
I was frozen with fear
And her brother comes into the cabin and tells us
He walked away and left me
I shouted at her to come and get dry
And nobody came
He didn’t say she was still in and her sister was there
She was shouting at me
But she didn’t come in so I went up on deck
You looked so angry
And her dad pulled her back on the boat
Grabbed my arm and yanked me up
She’d skinned her knees on the bank
Bone deep on corrugated iron
So we cleaned her up, she never cried
I didn’t dare
What a silly thing to happen, we had a good laugh
I felt so stupid
Crazy things happen on holiday
I could have died.
*****

No comments:

Post a Comment