WELCOME

This is my blog (now there is a surprise!). I will be sticking in it poetry, prose, random musings, things that take my fancy and more than likely lots of pictures of cats. I hope you find something to amuse and/or interest you here.

Monday 23 April 2018

NaPoWriMo2018 Day 23 from Bard to Verse

 First, today is Shakespeare's Birthday  then  http://www.napowrimo.net/  give the prompt:
"And now for today’s (optional) prompt! Kate Greenstreet’s poetry is spare, but gives a very palpable sense of being spoken aloud – it reads like spoken language sounds. In our interview with her, she underscores this, stating that “when you hear it, you write it down.” Today, we challenge you to honor this idea with a poem based in sound. The poem, for example, could incorporate overheard language. Perhaps it could incorporate a song lyric in some way, or language from something often heard spoken aloud (a prayer, a pledge, the Girl Scout motto). Or you could use a regional or local phrase from your hometown that you don’t hear elsewhere, e.g. “that boy won’t amount to a pinch.”"

So, of course, I went from Bard to Verse, (or tried with blank verse):


"Once more unto the breach" I quote the words
although this context does not fit the play
it fits my mood as I approach my shift
at work.  "My quality of mercy sure
is strained"; another quote from Shakespeare though
this time I twist the words and bend them to
my needs, a sad corruption of the Bard's
fine work. Then "Mario, Mario" I
cry, "Wherefore art thou Mario?" my plea
falls on deaf ears, my team leader remains
quite un-amused by my wordplay today.
When "all that glisters is not gold" is said
the argument commences as the words
"it's glitters" resounds round the room until
the internet provides us the right phrase.
At last it's time for us to leave, "Parting
is such sweet sorrow" but the day is done
so I declaim now "When shall we three meet
again?" and the reply that I receive
from joyful colleagues echoes round the room;
"Tomorrow, Shakespeare's birthday will then be
well over for another year, thank God!"



No comments:

Post a Comment