WELCOME

This is my blog (now there is a surprise!). I will be sticking in it poetry, prose, random musings, things that take my fancy and more than likely lots of pictures of cats. I hope you find something to amuse and/or interest you here.

Saturday 7 April 2018

NaPoWriMo2018 Day 7



http://www.napowrimo.net/  "And now for our (optional) prompt. In our interview, Kyle Dargan suggests writing out a list of all of your different layers of identity. For example, you might be a wife, a grandmother, a Philadelphian, a dental assistant, a rabid Phillies fan, a seamstress, retiree, agnostic, cancer survivor, etc.. These are all ways you could be described or lenses you could be viewed through. Now divide all of those things into lists of what makes you feel powerful and what makes you feel vulnerable. Now write a poem in which one of the identities from the first list contends or talks with an identity from the second list. "

What makes me feel vulnerable was easy, I had so many to choose from.  What makes me feel powerful took a lot of thought.




Care Home Conflict

She will be safeguarded
Will she feel discarded?
They can always phone me.
Will she feel she's lonely?
She'll always have good care.
But I will not be there.
They'll make sure she's well fed.
Is she being deserted?
It's in her best interest.
Have I failed this big test?
She barely knows me now.
It feels wrong somehow.
And I have not failed her.
But I feel I've jailed her.




My mother developed severe dementia and I could no longer cope with her care.  I had to look at the situation using my work persona rather than as me, her daughter.  This debate still goes on nearly every day in my head 18 months later.




No comments:

Post a Comment